Friday, January 30, 2015

Skip the Rules

What would you think if I told you to ignore the rules? You know the ones I’m talking about; all those Old Testament rules that churches love to talk about. I’m so sick of talking about rules all the time. It seems like rules only lead to two possible extremes: either you follow them to the letter or you scrap them and do what you want. At least those are the only two authentic options. Anything in between is hypocrisy.

It’s this issue that Paul is dealing with in his letter to the Galatians, found in chapter 5. He is trying to write to both the legalists who think the Jewish law must be followed by Christians and antinomianists who think Jesus’ sacrifice means they have no moral expectations anymore. And Paul gives us a much better solution to this issue than either extreme. He says to forget the laws and instead let the Spirit of God be our guide.

I am awful at directions. I’ve learned that if I’m going to get anywhere, there must be a voice telling me where to go. So there are two women in my life that help me get where I need to go. My wife is a phenomenal navigator who can remember how to get anywhere she’s been to once. She’s my go-to guide in the car, but if I’m alone the voice of my beloved GPS makes sure I reach my destination. Don’t bother giving me a map, I’m not interested in searching out a route, and prewritten directions have too many ways to fail. I want someone with me who knows where I am and where I should turn next.

This is life in the Spirit. The Bible isn’t meant to be your prewritten directions to take you where God wants you to go. It’s the story of God’s love for His creation. He didn’t leave us directions, He offered to go with us and help us know where to turn. And if we are willing to live with God’s Spirit in us, we don’t have to worry about the rules. God will guide each step and help us know what we should do in each situation.

And if that isn't enough, Paul reminds us that living with the Spirit brings some amazing things into our life. Imagine not only have God’s presence there in all situations, but also being given a better life. A life full of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness faithfulness, and self control. I could definitely use some more of those attributes in my life. Could you?

No comments:

Post a Comment