Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Apple Announcement

Today Apple had their iPhone event and annaounced the new iPhone 4S.  Here's my take.  Fail.  I'll admit I don't like Apple much.  I don't like their business style, products, or closed ecosystem.  But I'll admit when they make a good product.  Last year, I paid attention to the iPhone 4 announcment and was definitely impressed by the phone.  But eighteen months later, they needed a redesign to hit a homerun.  The screen is small, the glass breaks, and a spec bump isn't enough to take on the onslought of Android.

The iPhone 4S is simply the same phone with a dual core processor and better camera.  Don't get me wrong, those are good specs, but not enough reason to upgrade from the 4 or to switch from really good Android phones like the Samsung Galaxy SII.  Apple fans will buy it anyway, as they do everything; but I think this is hugely underwhelming for many.

What do you think?  Excited about the 4S or disappointed?

3 comments:

  1. Agree to a certain extent, but can any company really hit it out of the park EVERY time? Are they always expected to cater to the hype that gets generated with every single release? Even Babe Ruth singled out once in a while. He was still great. Apple will hit another home run. Just give them a little more time. And give them a little grace for switching CEOs.

    IMHO, the iPhone is still a home run. And so is iOS5. But so is Android. It will be interesting to see what the market share looks like in 2 years. Yesterday, Cnet reported that Apple's iOS had 56% of the market share for Mobile/Tablet OS's. While Android was at 16%. I'm not sure Apple can hold them back much longer. And with today's announcement, it might push that number up a bit.

    Cool blog, Reg. I'm digging it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that what had everyone so disappointed is that they took 6 extra months for such a small refresh. It doesn't take that long to slap in the ipad2 processor. And Android is coming strong with the rumored Nexus Prime and Ice Cream Sandwich event next week. So we'll see what happens.

    As far as market share goes, ios owns the tablet market as your stats showed, but in phones Android is outselling the iPhone 2 to 1. So there is reason to think they should have brought something big.

    I'd say you can't go wrong either way. This stuff is powerful and great to use. Thanks, Jamie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ice Cream Sandwich event is what stuck with me. Now that is some technology that catches my attention! Look forward to reading the blog about that! :)

    Don't have a lot to contribute to the rest of the conversation. I'm just hear to learn. I don't even know what the name of my phone is... but it was free when I signed up if that tells you anything.

    ReplyDelete