Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Theology of Technology

Let’s face it, I’m a nerd. I love technology and am always interested in the next new gadget that will make my life easier. (… or more complicated.) I have a smartphone that organizes my life; communicate through email, texting, Twitter, and Facebook; preach from my Kindle E-Reader; usually have multiple screens at work on my desk; and even listen to podcasts about the latest tech news. (Many of you have no idea what I just said in that sentence.) I’m a nerd, and I’m okay with it. But I’ve learned recently that sometimes our technology can be an illustration of our life as believers too.
I think as disciples of Christ we fall into two main categories and today’s technology can help explain them.
1. The iPad Christian:
All the rage in the last year of technology has been tablet computers. Last year Apple introduced the iPad; a large slate touchscreen that runs like an iPhone but bigger. And it’s sold in the millions. It’s simple, beautiful, and works great for playing games, running apps, and surfing the internet. There is no keyboard, CD-rom, or USB port; just a glass front and your finger. People love the iPad and other companies are rushing to bring a real competitor to market. The problem with a tablet is that it isn’t really for getting anything done, it’s for consuming content. You can read books, look online, and do all sorts of fun stuff, but creating content is difficult. Most people use it as an additional device to their regular computer.
Like the iPad, the iPad Christian is one who is in church on Sunday, loves God, and is growing in their relationship with Christ; but leaves it at that. He might listen and internalize the sermon on Sunday, read his Bible, and spend time in prayer; but the message never moves beyond his brain to his actions. The iPad Christian is a consumer of God’s love without being a worker for the kingdom.
2. The Laptop Christian:
Unlike the iPad, a laptop is a powerful, yet mobile device that can not only consume content, but is adept at creating it as well. You can use a laptop to write papers, create videos, organize finances, write newsletters, and edit photos; all while still being able to surf the web and play games.
And the laptop Christian is not only a consumer of the Spirit, but is willing to work, serve, and put into practice the teachings of Christ to influence the world for Him.
So which one are you? Are you simply a consumer of God’s Word or are you willing to create opportunities to bring that Word to others through service and personal witness. I find it easy to be a consumer; it’s hard to be a servant. It's easy being a believer; hard to be a disciple.  You may not love technology, like me, but my hope is that you love God and are seeking to serve Him each and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment