Monday, October 7, 2013

Tablet Decisions...


Fall is the time for tablets.  Most major Android tablets have recently been released or are set to announce soon, the new Amazon Kindle Fires were just recently announced, and the iPad event is coming up this month.

Some may say that a tablet is an unnecessary device but I find that they do many things very well, and for me fill a specific need.  I've had both 7 and 10 inch tablets and have used both sizes of iPads as well.  I had the first Amazon Kindle Fire, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, Asus Nexus 7, and now the 2nd generation Asus Nexus 7.  My particular use case has some to do with my vocation and some to do with how I use technology.  7 inch tablets are a particular need for me because I use them to preach and to officiate weddings a funerals.  I've found that a 7 inch tablet in a nice leather case simulates the look of a Bible or book from the front for those that may balk at the use of such a device in worship.  Using technology for preaching has helped me be better prepared as well as keeps sermons organized within my chosen file system - Google Drive.  A second important use for me is for reading.  I have all of my books on my tablet, whether in the Google Play Books app or Amazon Kindle app.  I never have to decide which books to carry with me, cause they're all there.  (In a future post, I'll outline which e-book app I prefer and why.)  I also use my tablet for content creation, such as outlining my sermon notes using a bluetooth keyboard.  And of course I use my tablets to surf the web and play games as well.

So which tablet is best.  That completely depends on you.  Let me outline a case for each option.


  • Apple iPad: If you're reading this, you probably know I am not a fan of Apple's products, services, or business practices.  But there are cases that an ipad is the best purchase for a user.  Also, iPads are well made and very well supported.  Here are a few reasons to go with an ipad.
    • You have an iPhone:  Stick with an ecosystem.  Whether you choose Android or IOS, apps you purchase are sharable between multiple devices on your account, so if you have an iPhone, you should stick with IOS for a tablet.  Plus, you know how the OS works, so it makes sense to you.
    • Tech illiterate?: Are you a little less than what we'd call tech-savvy?  If you want the simplest experience on a tablet, the iPad is for you.  (Though IOS 7 is changing that somewhat.)  IOS is not easy enough for a kindergartener, it's easy enough for a nursing home resident.  (Kindergarteners pick up on this stuff incredibly quickly.)  For the most part, IOS is a grid of app icons that you touch to open, and a home button to take you back to the grid.  Easy peasy.  (Yes, there is much more that you can do, but that's the simple basics.)
    • Specific App Needs: My wife is a preschool director and teacher.  Some educational resources only work in IOS apps.  And many school districts issue iPads to teachers and/or students.  If the apps you need are only on IOS, then the iPad is the way to go.  (One of the reasons I don't like Apple; they work hard to get exclusive apps and services so no one else can offer them.  Anti-competitive much?)
  • Amazon Kindle Fire HDX: Amazon's new 7" and 8.9" tablets are not even released yet, but offer some nice upgrades from previous models.  I haven't used them but there are definite benefits to being in the Amazon ecosystem.

    • Great services from Amazon: Amazon has their own Appstore, Prime videos, and music offerings that work flawlessly with the Kindles.  If you're a big Amazon user, this is a great way to go.
    • Best current specs: With the top of the line Qualcom Snapdragon 800 quad core processor, and incredible 2560x1600 resolution screen (on the 8.9" version), this thing is a beast.  (The 7" version has great 1920x1200 resolution matching the Nexus 7.)
    • Mayday: If you're not particularly tech savvy, this new feature lets you get live support with the touch of the screen.  Very cool for those that aren't sure how to use all the features, or even if you want some ideas for good apps.
    • Price: Much better priced for the quality compared to Apple tablets.
  • Nexus 7/Nexus 10: Out of all the possible Android tablets, these are the only two I'd consider buying.  The only exception may be the new Galaxy Note 8.0 or 10.1 from Samsung if you're looking for the Wacom stylus support.  Otherwise, Android tablets that aren't the Nexus are usually too expensive, have lesser specs, and are behind in software.
    • Quality/Price: These tablets are great quality for great prices.  The new Asus Nexus 7 sets you back only $229, has great resolution (1920x1200), a fast quad core processor, and a really nice feel.  It's very light and thin, and can easily fit in a back pocket.  (Unlike the $329 iPad Mini)  The Nexus 10 has the same high resolution screen as the Kindle Fire HDX and is very nicely made materials with a price point over $100 less than iPad.  (A new refreshed version is due out in November.)
    • Customizable: Unlike either the Kindles or iPads, Android tablets are endlessly customizable.  You can change launchers, keyboards, default apps, and homescreens as much as you want.  That means you get a tablet that works how you want it to, instead of having the manufacturer decide for you how it should work and look.
    • Apps: Apple lovers will tell you that Android tablets are behind in apps because there aren't as many tablet-specific apps, but that's not a major problem to a real user.  Unlike IOS, Android apps are scalable to many different screen sizes and resolutions.  Apps that are made for phones can scale very well to tablets without major problems.  And i-users also don't realize that Android devices are capable of actually using something called the internet.  Not everything has to be an app when the browser works so well.  
    • Updates: It's exciting to have a device that gets better with time.  Nexus devices get very quick updates to the latest versions of Android so your tablet just get better and better.  (iPads benefit from the same updates, but don't always get all the new features.)
It's exciting that there are so many good tablets available right now, and it's a growing market.  While I'm an Android fan and have been weaning myself off of many of Amazon's services for Googles, I can see some great things in the Kindle Fires.  Apple may be a company I have no interest in purchasing from, but I can also see the quality in their products and the benefit for some.  (Dare I admit that I've even recommended IOS devices to people.)  

Ultimately, find something you like in your price range and spend some time learning how to use it.  Tablets are a relatively new market still, but I find myself using computers less and less and picking up my Nexus 7 more.

No comments:

Post a Comment