Monday, June 2, 2014

Is it time to rethink how we treat kids and Communion?

Let's get this out of the way; I'm an American Baptist and have been my whole life.  I recognize my thinking is going to be out of traditional ABC church practice, and definitely outside other church traditions.  So just know where I'm coming from.

I think it's time to let children join us in Communion (or Lord's Supper, or Eucharist, or The Table).  

Growing up in ABC/USA churches, I learned that Communion was an ordinance of the church that we began to partake of after our baptism.  There were a few exceptions like Christmas Eve or Maundy Thursday, when I got to take the elements with my family, but otherwise I waited till after my baptism at 8 years old.  It was only then that I was ready to understand and take the bread and juice that represent Jesus' body and blood.

And I get it.  I do.  After all, 1 Corinthians 11:27-29 says, "So then, whoever eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of sinning against the body and blood of the Lord.  Everyone ought to examine themselves before they eat of the bread and drink from the cup.  For those who eat and drink without discerning the body of Christ eat and drink judgment on themselves."  So we make sure that we take seriously the taking of Communion and keep children from it until they can take it seriously.  (Though our 'age of accountability' is open for interpretation and many still may not be able to grasp its seriousness after baptism.)

But I've been challenged to understand Communion differently lately and it's affecting much of how I've been practicing it.  I've always struggled with Communion because I didn't really understand it.  As Baptists, we tend to see the bread and juice as symbols of the body and blood of Jesus, and let it simply serve as that tangible reminder of Jesus' sacrifice for us.  But I've been challenged by teachings by Dr. David Fitch from Northern Seminary and by conversations with other pastors - like my dad - that there is more happening at The Table.  As you read through the New Testament post resurrection, it seems that the "breaking of bread" brings more than remembrance; but the acknowledgment of the presence of Christ into the mix.

My favorite example happens right after the resurrection as Jesus walks the road toward Emmaus with two followers who don't recognize Him; even telling Him about His own death.  Even as Jesus unpacks the Scriptures, they don't know that it's Him.  But when they arrive at their destination and Jesus breaks bread with them, they realize that it is the risen Christ with them.  There must be something significant about eating together that allows Jesus' presence to be tangibly known.  

That brings me to the issue of children in worship.  I have three boys and we found pretty early on that Communion would be a challenge with our oldest when he started sitting with my wife in worship.  When the time came for bread and juice to be passed around, he didn't understand why he wasn't included.  My wife quickly came to the conclusion - out of a desire to eliminate distractions - that our 4 year old would receive it too.  (I know; sacrilege.)  And I agreed with her.  But each month on the first Sunday as we prepared to pass out the elements, she would talk with my son about the significance of the bread and juice.

As you can imagine, some didn't like it.  And we didn't really start this because of some deep theological understanding of Communion that differed from our congregation's traditions.  It was just a desire to not have the pastor's son cry loudly from the second pew during Communion.

But all that has changed.  This question of Communion and kids has reminded me of another passage of Scripture.  Matthew 19:13-14 says, "Then people brought little children to Jesus for him to place his hands on them and pray for them. But the disciples rebuked them.  Jesus said,  'Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.'" (emphasis mine.)

So if Communion is truly what the word means; a close intimate fellowship with another - namely Jesus - then we are in the same situation.  At The Table, our children could be exposed to the presence of Christ while we, like the disciples, tell them to "get away.  The presence of Jesus is no place for children."  

So maybe it's time to really rethink how we deal with this issue.  Are kids sometimes irreverent?  Yep.  Were they probably irreverent when they came to Jesus as the gospel stories tell?  Yep.  

And to be clear, the 1 Corinthians passage used to put kids off wasn't written to deal with children and Communion, but to adults who were refusing to reconcile their relationships or live in communion with one another.  Paul wasn't talking to children at all.  But we adults better be careful if we're to take seriously what he says in this passage.  I don't know about you, but I have some relationships to reconcile if I'm going to be right before The Table.

What do you think?  Am I totally off base?

2 comments:

  1. As a life-long American Baptist and the granddaughter of missionaries to Africa, I have struggled with what is Biblical and what is cultural in church. How we got to where we are is sometimes historical, sometimes cultural, and sometime reactionary. Our cross has no Jesus because He arose from the grave; the Catholic crucifix has Jesus; we are not Catholic. We do not dance in our church; we dance as a social activity; saloons in the west had dancing; therefore, no dancing allowed--ANYWHERE. A "circuit riding preacher" once told me that the hymn books of this area trace their choice of songs back to the pioneers. The next time many of them would see their loved ones would be in heaven, so many of the hymns are about heaven. Some churches were affected by a scholarly pastor and have their traditions rooted in doctrine and scholarly thought. Other churches had pastors who created rules to follow so their members would know what to do and how to act.
    I have always been confused about the church traditions and Jesus' words to the Sadducees and Pharisees. It seems to me that we need to beware of becoming Sadducees and Pharisees and following all the rules set up men.
    As a child born in the 1950's, I grew up in a society that was still lingering in the "children should be seen and not heard" culture. No! meant NO! and only once was it said. I had to wait to take communion until I was baptized; I had to wait until I was 8 to go to church camp. There were "rites of passage" in our society; and the church followed those.
    So.... where does that leave communion and kids?
    Now our children sit through worship and sing songs that they do not understand; they "pray" and do not understand the full meaning of the prayers: they give their offering (out of someone else' pocket) and don't understand tithing; they giving their money to missions and never see it work.
    So why can't they take communion? As they grow older they will begin to understand the true meaning of the act just as they will understand the other parts of the worship experience.
    If we say, 'Doctrine does not allow that", aren't we becoming like the Sadducees and Pharisees that Jesus pointed His finger at? We need to be sure that we are following GOD'S rules and not man's traditions.
    Beth Welcher, daughter of lay minister, granddaughter of African missionaries, granddaughter of church camp caretakers, Wheaton College graduate, former pastor's wife

    ReplyDelete