Monday, June 16, 2014

Won't you be my neighbor?

The other day through the wonders of online streaming video, I had the opportunity to introduce my boys to Mister Rogers' Neighborhood.  They didn't quite get it, I don't think, but I got to reminisce a bit watching this show from my childhood.  And of course it helps knowing that Fred Rogers was truly an exceptional man.  He was a Presbyterian minister and spent over 30 years treating America's kids as neighbors, teaching them values, and show them how to use their imagination. 

What struck me as I watched the show again, was how Mister Rogers invited you right into his "house" while singing the famous song and changing his suit jacket to a sweater and dress shoes for casual ones.  I wonder how often I even treat my own kids with that kind of warmth as soon as I walk in the door after work, let alone random kids and neighbors.  Mister Rogers knew hospitality.

But I think - and I can only guess - that when Mister Rogers' show began in 1968, a neighborhood meant something.  Being a "neighbor" was a term of endearment that meant that you were friendly and welcome.  Neighbors helped look after each other; keeping an eye out for your house when you were gone, making sure your kids weren't getting into trouble, and sharing a cup of sugar when you ran out.  At least that's the stereotype that I imagine when I think of neighbors before my generation. 

Someone noted at a recent MCLE (Missional Church Learning Experience) gathering that people used to sit out in their rocking chairs on the front porch engaging with their neighbors.  Now we build 6 foot high privacy fences and back decks so we can sit outside and talk to no one.  It's unfortunate that we've lost the ability to be neighbors.

We're trying to change that at First Baptist Church of Mt. Pleasant.  In June, we had 6 "hosts" reach out to their neighbors with an invitation to relationship in exciting ways.  Five of those hosts invited their neighbors to block parties at their homes, hosting food and conversation for neighbors The results were amazing, as each party had many guests and created opportunities to get to know neighbors like never before.  Personally, I felt like we just gained a neighborhood after eight years of living in this house.  Who knew we were surrounded by such kind and fun people?  The other "host" instead baked pies and delivered them to her neighbors as a gift.  Again, this was well received by those in her neighborhood.

And here's the fun part.  A few days ago, while outside spraying for weeds, one of my new neighbor friends yelled over from across the street.  We met in the middle and chatted for a few minutes and again, I was reminded that this is what a neighborhood is.  And this is what Jesus commands us to do; to "love your neighbor as yourself". 

Doing this also reminds us that we are not a church by showing up for an hour a week to worship together.  Yes, that's important, but we are God's church when we follow His commands.  As Rev. Glynis LaBarre said, "Jesus did not die to save your church.  He didn't even die to save THE Church.  The Church exists to carry out His mission."  When we get outside our building and live among and love our neighbors, we begin to be who God has made us to be.

I get excited when I imagine a church of people living in Mount Pleasant, the surrounding countryside, and neighboring communities as far as Fairfield and Waterloo living out a love for their neighbors.  Imagine the reach that the Kingdom has if we go and love our neighbors and live as witnesses to the grace and peace that comes from a relationship with Jesus.

Lord, build Your Kingdom here,
Regan


No comments:

Post a Comment