Monday, April 16, 2012

Catching up on Tech.

As I warned, I sometimes suck at blogging.  I also have some trouble finding topics to write on regarding both ministry and technology.  So I may have to sometimes branch out into either one or the other.
Today, an update on my technology for ministry.
In a previous post, I talked about my love for the Amazon Kindle for the use of preaching, doing weddings, and funerals, etc.  All that changed when I decided to sell my Kindle Keyboard and buy a Kindle Fire.  (Actually, it didn't change that much since it's still a Kindle.)  While I still go back and forth on which I like better, here are the benefits of the Fire and the ways I use it.
Preaching from my Fire is great.  I worried about it's thickness - which is noticeable - and the backlighting, but neither of those are a problem.  I keep my Fire in a very nice, genuine leather book-style case by Bear Motion.  It's wonderful, and makes holding my Fire look and feel just like holding a Bible when I'm up front.  What's best, though, is my process for creating and transferring my sermons to my Fire.  I write up my notes; cutting and pasting Scripture passages into Google Docs in an outline form.  I have the capability of adding color, highlighting, or even pics within my file, since I"m no longer dealing with E-ink.  (I use 14 point font, which scales nicely.)
On my Kindle, I open the preinstalled app called Quickoffice and open my Google Doc directly.  I can then pinch to zoom to make the font larger or smaller, and the app will adjust so all the words fit on the page.  And I'm ready.
Of course, the Fire brings all sorts of other possibilities for use that my old Kindle didn't.  I can surf the web, read, use Twitter and Facebook, and my boys play games on it like crazy.  The only thing I'm really missing is the E-ink Kindle's Text to Speech feature.  (C'mon, Amazon, bring it to the apps.)
My major gripes with the Kindle Fire are mostly understandable given the price point.  I wish it was thinner and lighter.  I think I could stack three of my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablets on top of each other before reaching the Fire's thickness.
So if you have a Fire, try it out for teaching, preaching, and ministry.  It's a nice little 7" tablet.

No comments:

Post a Comment