Monday, April 16, 2012

Crazy Times

Viral: How Social Networking Is Poised to Ignite RevivalWe are living in a cool time.  Let me give you an example.  Recently, I decided I wanted to buy Leonard Sweet's new book called "Viral: How Social Networking is Poised to Ignite Revival".  Sweet understands the postmodern world and all that comes with it better than most; especially within the Church.  So I make my way to Amazon to buy my Kindle version only to find that the Kindle version of his book costs $11.99 while the paperback is $10.19.  Are you kidding me?  The ebook requires virtually zero manufacturing or production, while the paperback must be printed, produced, and shipped; and it's cheaper?  What a ripoff.  So I made my way to Twitter.  AND HAD A TWITTER CONVERSATION WITH THE AUTHOR.  When in the world could anyone ever have done that?  Here's how it went.




Me: @lensweet - As one who understands the digital age, you should know your book Viral shouldn't be more $ for Kindle than it is for paperback.

Sweet: @fbcregan I agree wholeheartedly. But authors don't have any say in this . . .. we don't get to pick our titles, either.

Me: @lensweet - Thought that may be the case. But wanted to point it out. Regardless, looking forward to reading your book. Blessings.


Sweet: @fbcregan it's embarrassing to boot on a resource about digital media . . :)

Me: @lensweet Eventually publishers will figure out digital. Kind of like churches. Way behind.


Needless to say, I bought his book anyway. My advice; get it. As I said before, Sweet understands the change that has happened and separates everyone into two groups: Gutenbergs and Googles. These two groups break at the invention of the cell phone in 1973. As a self-proclaimed immigrant in the the Google world, Sweet shows the differences between the two worldviews and helps us see how to reach a Google world for Jesus. It's worth reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment